Sunday, April 21, 2013

Walk the streets alone at night

There is something magical about walking alone through empty city streets at night. Just got back from one of those walks. From 01.30-03.00 AM. Besides a cat and two junkies I did not encounter a single soul. Wonderful. Some women are scared to walk alone at night. Although I respect and understand that, it's sad they will never feel that utterly eerie yet exhilarating feeling you get from walking alone in empty streets at night. Long shadows, streetlights, buildings look different, you can hear your own footsteps in the most busy streets all of a sudden. I used to love walking the streets of Vienna at night. In the summertime. Often with my heels in my hand coming home and sobering up in the soothing night-air. An occasional taxi passing by or the sound of a lovers spat out of a window. In Glasgow it was next to impossible to find empty streets as it's always filled with students staggering home. Some fantastic memories from Malta as well. I've had the privilege of having the entire Promenade to myself. I've always loved the night. I  am an owl. The night is my friend. It wraps me like a velvety blanket and stimulates my mind. No clutter. My best thinking, problem-solving and decision-making has always occurred strolling the streets at night.    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing, I feel exactly the same about the night. Well said and the deepest respects from the Owl within