Friday, November 28, 2008

Slow food and a fast life


We are no longer allowed to eat processed food. It's now organic, locally produced so-called "slow food" which is the right thing, if you are to be successful.
This is a very time-consuming ordeal. I know. I've tried most of it. Not only is it slow in deed, -it's also expensive and requires many new and flashy gadgets,- none which are low maintenance. There's an art-form to the gadgets as well as what they produce. Things that no longer are allowed to eat "plain and simple":
- Chocolate
- Coffee
- Bread
- Olive Oil and Vinegars
- Juices
- Ice-cream
To name a few. Skills on ingredients I never thought all that special are now a necessity. The world of chocolate it seems, is just as complex as the world of spices. And olive-oil connoisseurs can out-brag any somellier on the where and how's of different oils. Tea is an art-form, and green, not black.
We need grinders for coffee-beans and special brewing pots and correct cutlery.
Bread should be made at home, by hand, with flours so rare it takes a day of shopping tracking them down. Juice shall not be drunk from the carton, oh no no no, it must be made in blender adding only carefully selected, organic fruit and veg.

Must admit I am allured by much of it. And I admire some friends who make it look like they never nourished themselves any other way, and make the know-how, blending and grinding seem like a breeze.
Sometimes though, I enjoy Ribena, snickers bars or a cup of regular black coffee, in solitude. Can't let people see I'm a food looser now, can I?

No comments: