Friday, November 21, 2008

Myths about growing old


Picture: Gaynor Evelyn Sweeney

There are a few things one expects as the years go by. Improvements, wisdom,
financial security e.t.c. Some are true, some not. Here are a few things I am a little miffed about

1. Your skin will clear up as you get older.
Well, it ain't happened here yet, and instead of struggling with the oncoming wrinkles, life's cruel enough to give me blemishes AND wrinkles.

2. Over thirty you'll be financially sound.
In my early 20-ies I thought by 30 I'd have the 3 V's in place: Volvo, Villa and Voff-Voff. And it seemed inconceivable that I should still be without a financial security-blanket, savings and at least an investment portfolio or some stocks.
Well, at least I'm not alone. Many friends find themselves a little surprised to see that unlike our parent's generation, the financial security is really difficult to achieve. Mortgages and overdrafts on credit-card's more like it...

3. With age comes wisdom.
What's she on about, you may think.. And I understand. We DO get wiser. I certainly know much more about life and how to live it by now. The thing is though, all this wisdom and lessons are usually useful AFTER it's acquired.. This wisdom that comes with age comes with no application manual. So, I end up still doing mistakes, perhaps even more so than in my 20ies, with more significant impact, knowing more than I did then, and being very wise in hindsight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. The only time I've had superstar quality skin was during my pregnancy - and then came chloasma afterwards. Lesson learned? You can have good things, but enjoy them while you can cos they don't last forever...